from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A man who operates a printing press.
  • n. Chiefly British A newspaper reporter.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. someone who operates a printing press
  • n. a journalist or newspaper reporter
  • n. one who pressgangs people into naval service

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. One who manages, or attends to, a press, esp. a printing press.
  • n. One who presses clothes.
  • n. One of a press gang, who aids in forcing men into the naval service; also, one forced into the service.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. One who is engaged in pressing; specifically, one who attends to a wine-press.
  • n. One who operates or has charge of a printing-press; specifically, a printer who does press-work; one who runs a hand-press, or who manages a press or presses run by steam or other power.
  • n. In journalism, sometimes, a man employed on the press; a writer or reporter for a newspaper.
  • n. One of a press-gang who aids in forcing men into military or naval service.
  • n. A man impressed into the public service, as the army or navy.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. a journalist employed to provide news stories for newspapers or broadcast media
  • n. someone whose occupation is printing


Sorry, no etymologies found.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.