from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun An airtight metal pot that uses steam under pressure at high temperature to cook food quickly.
- noun Informal A situation or an atmosphere of difficulty, stress, or anxiety.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- (Cookery) a pot with a lid which may be tightly bound to the bottom part, forming a vessel which can withstand some gas pressure from within. It is used to heat foods in water or steam to a temperature somewhat above the boiling point of water, allowing the cooking process to be accomplished more quickly than otherwise.
- Fig., a situation involving intense psychological pressure due to multiple urgent demands, as in certain job situations.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun cooking A sealed
cooking vesselthat allows cooking in greater than atmospheric pressure and at a temperature above the boiling point of water.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun autoclave for cooking at temperatures above the boiling point of water
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.