from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. A tube of thick glass originally closed at one end and, after the introduction of liquid reagents, closed also, by fusion, at the other. On cautiously heating such a tube interaction of its contents may be brought about at a much higher temperature than would be possible in an open vessel and therefore under ordinary atmospheric pressure.
  • n. The brass, or German silver, or highly elastic steel tube used in the Bourdon pressure-gage.


Sorry, no etymologies found.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.