from The Century Dictionary.
- Anterior with reference to the otic capsule or among otic bones; of or pertaining to the proötic: correlated with opisthotic, etc. See II., and otic.
- noun In zoology and anatomy, a bone of the ear, an anterior ossification of the periotic capsule, forming with the epiotic and opisthotic the petrosal or petromastoid bone, developed in especial relation with the anterior vertical semicircular canal of the bony labyrinth of the ear.
- noun Specifically, in ichthyology, a lateral bone in the cranium, articulating below with the parasphenoid, behind with the exoccipital and opisthotic, above with the pterotic and sphenotic, and anteriorly with the alisphenoid. It is usually perforated by the trigeminal nerve.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- adjective (Anat.) In front of the auditory capsule; -- applied especially to a bone, or center of ossification, in the periotic capsule.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- adjective anatomy In front of the
- noun anatomy A
bone, or centre of ossification, in the periotic capsule.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
pro- + otic
Sorry, no example sentences found.