from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun The division of the stomach in birds that secretes digestive enzymes and passes food from the crop to the gizzard.
- noun A similar digestive chamber in certain insects and worms.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun In ornithology, the glandular stomach; a second dilatation of the esophagus, succeeding the crop or craw, and succeeded by the gizzard, gigerium, or muscular stomach.
- noun In insects, the first stomach, the ingluvies or crop, being merely an expansion of the esophagus.
- noun In worms, a muscular crop.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun The part of the
avian stomach, between the cropand the gizzard, that secretes digestive enzymes
- noun A similar part of the digestive system of
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
[pro– + Latin ventriculus, stomach, diminutive of venter, belly.]
Sorry, no example sentences found.