from The Century Dictionary.
- noun A coin: as, a pucka pice. It sometimes denotes a coin of double weight and sometimes one from the government mint.
- Solid; substantial; real; permanent; lasting: as, a pucka wall; a pucka road: opposed to cutcha. [Anglo-Ind.]
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- adjective India Good of its kind; -- variously used as implying substantial, real, fixed, sure, etc., and specif., of buildings, made of brick and mortar.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- adjective Alternative form of
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adjective absolutely first class and genuine
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Perhaps in Japan he says pucka, but that is the same discussion as the sounds ducks make:
He suspected the pucka lees were still back with the baggage, which would mean a three-mile walk and, by the time he had found them, the battalion would have slaked its thirst from the wells in the village.
The pucka lees were bringing water which they poured into great wooden tubs.
The metal hissed and steamed, and sweating pucka lees hurried up the battery road with yet more skins of water to replenish the great vats.
So Sharpe had a servant, a battle had been won, and now he walked south in search of pucka lees.
The northern face of the ravine, which looked towards the unconquered Inner Fort, was now crowded with some three thousand redcoats, most of whom did nothing but sit in whatever small shade they could find and grumble that the pucka lees had not fetched water.
Sharpe glanced behind, hoping to see the pucka lees who brought the battalion water, but there was no sign of them.
-- I walked this morning to a village, a mile to the west, in which there is a picturesque pucka house of religion.
Roopur is a largish town, with a Seikh pucka fort on a mound.
-- Proceeded six and a half miles to near the ruins of an old tope; first, down the nullah, then by the fort of Futtygurh, a Hindoostanee mud fort with high parapets, two lines of works, and a _pucka_ citadel with embrasures for guns on a commanding mound: thence we passed over a gentle slope with a good many scattered _Bheirs_, _Kureels_, AErua, Mudar, etc.