from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A venomous African viper (Bitis arietans) having crescent-shaped yellowish markings.
- n. See hognose snake.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative form of puffadder.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A North American harmless snake (Heterodon platyrrhinos) which has the power of puffing up its body. Called also hog-nose snake, flathead, spreading adder, and blowing adder.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The largest and most venomous African serpent of the family Viperidæ, Clotho arietans.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. harmless North American snake with upturned nose; may spread its head and neck or play dead when disturbed
- n. large African viper that inflates its body when alarmed
So called because it inflates its body when excited.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Sorry, no example sentences found.