from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A pump without pistons that operates by means of pulsed condensation of steam. Also called vacuum pump.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. A vacuum pump or hydrotrope.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. A device, with valves, for raising water by steam, partly by atmospheric pressure, and partly by the direct action of the steam on the water, without the intervention of a piston; -- also called vacuum pump.
  • n. A pulsimeter.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. Same as pulsimeter.
  • n. In mech., a kind of steam-condensing pump acting on the principle of a vacuum-pump.


Sorry, no etymologies found.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.