from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • adj. pulvinate

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • In architecture, noting a swelling or bulging out in any part of an order, or any member so characterized, as some friezes. Also called pillowed.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


  • On top of the Ionic capitals of the peristasis (external colonnade), an entablature consisting of an architrave, a pulvinated frieze, and a cornice, all undecorated except for false lion spouts on the cornice, supported a steep undecorated gable.

    Interactive Dig Sagalassos - Apollo Klarios Sanctuary Report 1

  • Building elements of this portico show that it presented the same smooth entablature with a pulvinated (cushion-shaped), but otherwise smooth frieze, and an undecorated cornice, as on the western portico and the Trajanic nymphaeum along the agora's north side.

    Interactive Dig Sagalassos 2003 - Lower Agora Report 4


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.