from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A stuffed or inflated leather bag that is usually suspended so that it can be punched with the fists for exercise.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A device, consisting of a tough cloth bag over sand or other material, used to practice punching.
- n. A person serving as an object of abuse.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an inflated ball or bag that is suspended and punched for training in boxing
- n. a person on whom another person vents their anger
Sorry, no etymologies found.
When the British heavyweight boxer Julius Francis was beaten decisively by Mike Tyson in January 2000, the human punching bag told an interviewer: I tried in there, you know what I’m sayin’?