from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A course or track for racing, especially harness racing.
- n. A tube that encloses and protects electric wires.
- n. See race2.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A place where races are held. A racetrack.
- n. An easily-accessible conduit or tray for organizing runs of data or power cabling.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An artificial passage for water flowing from a fall or dam; a mill-race. Compare mill-race. See race.
- n. in fish-culture, a fishway.
- n. In a composing-machine, a space into which type drops; a device for carrying type along.
- n. A protecting tube or other inclosure surrounding electric wires within a subway or conduit.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a course over which races are run
- n. a canal for a current of water
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The PGP raceway is a competitive go-kart track that Daab says reminds him of the Zolder, Belgium, course.
The two pick up trucks, a 1995 Ford F-150 and a 1971 Ford F-100, are currently delivered to Top Gun Raceway for each racing event to be used by the Fallon / Churchill Volunteer Fire Department for emergency use at the raceway, which is owned by the county.
He also will oversee the construction of a pedestrian bridge over the "raceway" portion of the nursery that leads into the Lehigh Parkway so that visitors will not have to walk onto the precarious berm of Fish Hatchery Road to make their way into the parkway.
That said: he bet the zone is correct and that either an accident/near accident or complaints that a section of road so near a school zone had become a "raceway" lead to putting a cop there to slow traffic down.
As for the closings being because of a safety issue, she said it would be safer to keep Daugherty open, as South Street would become a "raceway" because traffic would be rerouted there.
MRI recently activated an open pond "raceway" cultivation system at its laboratory in Palm Bay, Fla., and a continuous flow, closed loop photobioreactor at its field station near Kansas City, Mo.
I drove the car on the road outside of the Talladega raceway after I met the owner of the car and told him I had written Bobby's biography.
The event was held in the media building on the grounds of the Watkins Glen International raceway, a sprawling circuit-style course that winds its way through a hill overlooking the Seneca Lake valley below.
On Saturday, the teams made their way to the raceway for the official launch.
This honor was quickly diluted when we got lost upon exiting the raceway and knocked a jerry can off the side of our bus in the charming but narrow streets of Singleton Village.