from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun A strong, narrow surface current that flows rapidly away from the shore, returning the water carried landward by waves.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun A strong flow of surface water, away from the shore, that returns water from incoming waves.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • noun a strong surface current flowing outwards from a shore


Sorry, no etymologies found.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.