from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A freshwater food and game fish (Ambloplites rupestris) of eastern and central North America, chiefly found in streams and rivers with rocky bottoms.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun A centrarchoid fish, Ambloplites rupestris; the redeye or goggleeye.
- noun The striped-bass. See
Roccus, and cut under bass.
- noun A serranoid fish, Serranus or Paralabrax clathratus; the cabrilla: found off the coast of California, attaining a length of 18 inches.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a kind of sea bass
- noun game and food fish of upper Mississippi and Great Lakes
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.