from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Colorless transparent quartz, used in optical instruments and as a semiprecious gemstone.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. clear, colourless form of the silica-based mineral quartz, often called "pure quartz" or "clear quartz".
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. any transparent crystal of quartz, particularly of limpid or colorless quartz.
- n. limpid quartz. See Quartz, and under Crystal.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. See crystal, and cut under pokal.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a clear quartz used in making electronic and optical equipment
Sorry, no etymologies found.
But then she always added a heavy piece of religious jewellery: a huge gold rosary, an Agnus Dci of rock crystal engraved with the Passion.
Above them hung a resplendent bronze dore chandelier with chains of rock crystal gracing filigree arms.
This hostility was further increased by various controversies which resulted in differences of opinion, such as the contention between Boscovich and Rochon regarding priority in the invention of the rock crystal prismatic micrometer.