from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A surface along which cylindrical objects or objects on rollers may be moved, especially a naturally or artificially inclined surface used by lumberjacks to slide logs into a waterway for transport.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. An inclined slope prepared for rolling logs into a stream or into a mill
  • n. A series of cylindrical metal rolls placed between two rails and spaced apart, used to convey materials along a production line.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. A place prepared for rolling logs into a stream.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. A natural incline (as the bank of a stream), or an inclined structure, down which heavy bodies, especially logs, are propelled by their own weight; a shoot.
  • n. In lumbering, a mass of logs piled up for rolling down to or into a stream, or placed upon the ice to await spring freshets.
  • n. Same as landing. 9.


roll +‎ way (Wiktionary)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.