from The Century Dictionary.
- To hew coarsely without smoothing, as timber; hence, to give a rough or crude form to, as if by hewing.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- transitive verb To hew coarsely, without smoothing.
- transitive verb To give the first form or shape to; to form rudely; to shape approximately and rudely; to roughcast.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- verb transitive To
hew coarsely, without smoothing.
- verb transitive, figuratively To give the first
formor shapeto; to form rudely and approximately; to roughcast.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- verb hew roughly, without finishing the surface
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
rough + hew
Believe me, there is an invisible hand that will support you when you least expect it; a power that shapes our purposes, roughhew them as we will.