from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. A form of quern the bedstone of which is hollowed on its upper surface to receive a kind of stone roller, which was used with a rocking and rubbing motion to grind the grain. See the upper example in the cut under quern.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


  • British pottery and the commoner kinds of Romano-British ware were found, and portions of mealing stones and also a saddle-quern, or grain-crusher, which instruments for hand-mealing must have been in common use among the pit dwellers.

    English Villages

  • _Fluthwerk_ and 'hydraulicking' would easily wash down the whole alluvial and auriferous formation to the floor of grey granite which has supplied the huge 'cankey-stones' [Footnote: This proto-historic implement, also called a 'saddle-quern,' is here made out of a thick slab of granite slightly concave and artificially roughened.

    To The Gold Coast for Gold, Vol. II A Personal Narrative


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.