from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A miner's lamp with a protective wire gauze surrounding the flame to prevent ignition of flammable gases.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A miner's lamp designed to avoid explosion by enclosing the flame in fine wire gauze.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a miner's lamp in which the flame is surrounded by fine wire gauze, preventing the kindling of dangerous explosive gases; -- called also, from Sir Humphry Davy the inventor, Davy lamp.
- See under Lamp.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In mining, a form of lamp intended for use in coal-mining, the object of the arrangement being to prevent the inflammable gas by which the miner is often surrounded from being set on fire, as would be the case were the flame not protected from contact with the gas.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an oil lamp that will not ignite flammable gases (methane)
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.