from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, belonging to, or characteristic of the suborder Salmonoidea.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or pertaining to the Salmonoidea suborder of salmon
- n. Any of these fish.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Like, or pertaining to, the Salmonidæ, a family of fishes including the trout and salmon.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Resembling a salmon; of or pertaining to the Salmonidæ in a broad sense; related to the salmon family. Also salmoniform.
- n. A salmonoid fish. Also salmoid, salmonid.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
With this understanding, in 1964, I took part in a 10 month postdoctoral exchange program between the U.S. National Academy of Science and the Academy of Sciences of the then USSR, to further my learning of the salmonoid fishes of the world.
Indian corn, and drying fish -- the _pirarucú_ (_Vastres gigas_), a salmonoid vulgarly called the cod-fish of the Amazon.
--- Farms eventually breed disease which spreads to the entire salmonoid family.