from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A bank that receives and invests the savings of private depositors and pays interest on the deposits.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A type of financial institution that focuses on retail banking: savings of private depositors, payments, credits and insurances for individuals or small and medium-sized enterprises.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a bank in which savings or earnings are deposited and put at interest.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An institution for the encouragement of the practice of saving money among people of slender means, and for the secure investment of savings, managed by persons having no interest in the profits of the business, the profits being credited or paid as interest to the depositors at certain intervals, as every month (in Great Britain), or every three or six months (as in the United States).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a thrift institution in the northeastern United States; since deregulation in the 1980s they offer services competitive with many commercial banks
- n. a container (usually with a slot in the top) for keeping money at home
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Resolved, that the committee on banks be instructed to enquire into the expediency of establishing a savings bank at Goodson, Washington county.
A senate bill entitled an act to incorporate the Common-wealth savings bank of Richmond, was read the first and second times, and on motion of Mr. ROBERTSON, read the third time and passed.
An act to incorporate the Monongahela savings bank in the county of Monongalia, No. 130.
A senate bill entitled an act to incorporate the Central savings bank of the city of Richmond, was read the first and second times, and on motion of Mr. SAUNDERS, read the third time and passed.
A bill to incorporate the Monongahela savings bank in the county of Monongalia.
A bill to incorporate the Monongalia savings bank in the county of Monongalia.
A bill to incorporate the Aid savings bank of the city of Richmond, was taken up, on motion of Mr. GIBSON of Hampshire, amended, and as amended, read the second time, and ordered to be engrossed and read the third time; and being forthwith engrossed, two-thirds concurring, was read the third time and passed.
He was glad to be able to defeat Stuyvesant in one of his nefarious schemes, and to be the instrument of returning Miss Norris her savings bank book.
An act to incorporate the Monongahela savings bank in the county of Monongalia.