from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To scant; to be niggardly with; to divide into small pieces; to cut short or down.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To be deficient; to fail.
- transitive v. To scant; to be niggard of; to divide into small pieces; to cut short or down.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To become less; fail; be or become deficient.
- To make less; lessen; draw in.
- To cut up or divide into small pieces; partition.
- To cut down or cut short; scant.
- n. A gage by which slates are regulated to their proper length.
Old French escanteler, eschanteler. (Wiktionary)