from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A local board that oversees public schools.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A governing body of people elected to oversee management of a school district and represent the interests of residents.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a corporation established by law in every borough or parish in England, and elected by the burgesses or ratepayers, with the duty of providing public school accommodation for all children in their district.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A local board of education or school-committee; specifically, in Great Britain, a body of managers, elected by the ratepayers, male and female, in a town or parish, to provide adequate means of instruction for every child in the district, with the power of compelling the attendance of the children at school, unless their education is satisfactorily provided for otherwise.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a board in charge of local public schools
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.