from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A shrub or small tree (Prosopis pubescens) of the southwest United States and adjacent areas of Mexico, having pinnately compound leaves, tiny yellowish-white flowers, and twisted pods used as fodder.
- n. The pod of this plant.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. See under Screw.
- n. The tree itself. Its heavy hard wood is used for fuel, for fencing, and for railroad ties.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. shrub or small tree of southwestern United States and northwestern Mexico having spirally twisted pods
- n. spirally twisted sweet pod of screwbean mesquite that is used for fodder or ground into meal for feed
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.