from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The continuous helical groove on a screw or on the inner surface of a nut.
- n. One complete turn of a screw thread.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A helical ridge which wraps around an elongated cylindre, or a groove spiraling around the wall of a bore, used to convert a rotational movement into a linear one.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. the spiral rib which forms a screw.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The spiral ridge formed on the cylinder of a male screw, or on the inner surface of a female screw or nut.
- n. A single turn of the spiral ridge of a male or female screw: used by mechanics to designate the number of such turns in a unit of length of the axis of the screw. Commonly called simply thread.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the raised helical rib going around a screw
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.