from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun The continuous helical groove on a screw or on the inner surface of a nut.
- noun One complete turn of a screw thread.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun The spiral ridge formed on the cylinder of a male screw, or on the inner surface of a female screw or nut.
- noun A single turn of the spiral ridge of a male or female screw: used by mechanics to designate the number of such turns in a unit of length of the axis of the screw. Commonly called simply thread.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun engineering A
helical ridgewhich wrapsaround an elongated cylindre, or a groove spiralingaround the wallof a bore, used to converta rotational movementinto a linearone.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun the raised helical rib going around a screw
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.