from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. One who or that which adjusts the opening between the rolls in the roll-train of a rolling-mill, so that thicker or thinner material shall result from the rolling process. This adjustment of the bearings of the rolls is effected by screws which have a graduated scale and pointer by which the opening is indicated. In early forms of mill this adjustment and screwing was done by a workman; in modem mills it is done by power, either through belt-driven shafts or by an electric motor under the control of the man.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


  • You can buy a case of jars, which come with lids that seal - little flat disks with a red ring on the bottom - and rings, the screw-down part.

    Overloaded From Your Garden? Just Can It

  • The screw-down crown means it is secure to 500 meters.

    A Hot Half Dozen for 2010

  • • Volvo with leather (classy, understated) • tennis racquets in screw-down wood frames (to stop warping!) • V-shaped TV antenna on back of car

    a patient etherised upon a table

  • It was three feet long, with a screw-down top at one end.

    Duma Key

  • Any top-quality watch has a screw-on back and screw-down crown the winding knob for the most protection from water and dirt.

    How To Buy & Sell just about Everything

  • - The screw-down type (Fig. 92) is very preferable to the "plug" type, which is apt to leak and stick.

    Things To Make

  • But they made me wade out and get it myself -- thirty foot of rope with knots, dynamite, fuses, primers, compass, grub for a week, and -- well, a bit of skin in a half-pint flask with a rubber and screw-down top.

    It, and Other Stories

  • You can also pipe video in over USB or, on this top model at least, via 802. 11g wireless (using an included but separate USB dongle that you must first plug in below a screw-down hatch).

    PC Advisor News

  • These are imposing 46mm diameter steel case, the rotating bezel with PVD-treated screws, screw push-pieces, crown guard, thick, anti-reflective sapphire crystal, 8 screws of the screw-down case back, ensuring water-resistance to 20atm.

    consumer digest, luxury cars, luxury watches, luxury bedding, romantic gifts, gift baskets

  • Tyco Electronics has introduced a board-to-board screw-down jumper assembly for use in LED lighting strips, lighting controls and channel lettering.

    Electronicstalk - electronics industry news


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.