from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Zoology Covered with shieldlike bony plates or scales.
- adj. Zoology Having a scutellum.
- adj. Botany Shaped like a shield or platter.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. saucer-shaped
- adj. Having the tarsi covered with broad transverse scales, or scutella, as in certain birds.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Formed like a plate or salver; composed of platelike surfaces.
- adj. Having the tarsi covered with broad transverse scales, or scutella; -- said of certain birds.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In zoology
- Provided with scutella; scutate; squamate.
I don't know whether your curiously scutellate mind has arrived at the point where it is willing to admit the existence of Monsieur X or not; but it will.
The boards seemed to move fairly of their own volition, like a scutellate monster of many joints, crawling from the cars, across the dock, over the side of the ship and into the black hold where presumably it coiled.