from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun Any of various marine food fishes of the family Sparidae, especially Archosargus rhomboidalis of western Atlantic coastal waters.
- noun Any of various other fishes, especially of the family Bramidae.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun One of several sparoid fishes; with some authors, the Sparidæ in general.
- noun A fish, of the family Bramidæ, Brama or Lepodus rayi, distantly related to the mackerels and dolphins.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- (Zoöl.) Any one of several species of sparoid fishes, especially the common European species (
Pagellus centrodontus), the Spanish ( P. Oweni), and the black sea bream ( Cantharus lineatus); -- called also old wife.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun any of several species of
marine fishof the families Sparidaeor Bramidae found in Atlanticwaters.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun any of numerous marine percoid fishes especially (but not exclusively) of the family Sparidae
- noun flesh of any of various saltwater fishes of the family Sparidae or the family Bramidae
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.