from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun Any of various fish-eating eagles or similar birds, such as the bald eagle or the osprey.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun Any eagle of the genus Haliaëtus, having the shank scaly.
- noun The white-tailed fishing-eagle of India, Palioaëtus ichthyaëtus.
- noun The osprey or fishinghawk, Pandion haliaëtus. See cut under
- noun The eagle-ray, Myliobatis aquila, a batoid fish. See cut under
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- (Zoöl.) Any one of several species of fish-eating eagles of the genus Haliæetus and allied genera, as the North Pacific sea eagle (
H. pelagicus), which has white shoulders, head, rump, and tail; the European white-tailed eagle ( H. albicilla); and the Indian white-tailed sea eagle, or fishing eagle ( Polioaëtus ichthyaëtus). The bald eagle and the osprey are also sometimes classed as sea eagles.
- (Zoöl.) The eagle ray. See under
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun An
eaglewith a distinctive white tail; specifically, the white-tailed eagle( Haliaeetus albicilla).
- noun A
genusof eagles(genus Haliaeetus).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun large harmless hawk found worldwide that feeds on fish and builds a bulky nest often occupied for years
- noun any of various large eagles that usually feed on fish
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.