from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various large marine turtles of the families Cheloniidae and Dermochelyidae, including the green turtle, loggerhead turtle, ridley, and leatherback, having the forelimbs modified into very large flippers and usually living in tropical and subtropical oceans.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any turtle that inhabits oceans.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- Any one of several very large species of chelonians having the feet converted into paddles, as the green turtle, hawkbill, loggerhead, and leatherback. They inhabit all warm seas.
- The sea pigeon, or guillemot.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The sea-pigeon, or black guillemot, Uria grylle. See cut under guillemot.
- n. Any marine chelonian; a sea-tortoise.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of various large turtles with limbs modified into flippers; widely distributed in warm seas
Sorry, no etymologies found.