from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Slang One, such as an assistant or deputy, who is subordinate to another.
- n. Slang One who serves as the straight man opposite the leading comedian in a burlesque.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A comedian who plays a secondary or supporting role, especially as straight man and traditionally in vaudeville or burlesque theatre.
- n. A person who serves in a supporting, secondary, or subsidiary capacity; an assistant.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone who serves in a subordinate capacity or plays a secondary role
- n. a performer who acts as stooge to a comedian
Sorry, no etymologies found.