from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun One, such as an assistant or deputy, who is subordinate to another.
- noun One who serves as the straight man opposite the leading comedian in a burlesque.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun idiomatic A
comedianwho plays a secondaryor supportingrole, especially as straight manand traditionally in vaudevilleor burlesque theatre.
- noun idiomatic A person who serves in a supporting, secondary, or
subsidiarycapacity; an assistant.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun someone who serves in a subordinate capacity or plays a secondary role
- noun a performer who acts as stooge to a comedian
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.