from The Century Dictionary.
- noun The process of partly vitrifying anything, or the state of being partly vitrified.
- noun 2. A substance or mass in the state of being semi-vitrified, or partially converted into glass.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun The quality or state of being semivitrified.
- noun A substance imperfectly vitrified.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun The quality or state of being
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
Very fine porcelain has been made from English materials but the nature of the manufacture renders the process precarious and the profit hazardous; for the semivitrification, which constitutes porcelain, is necessarily accompanied with a degree of softness, or semifusion, so that the vessels are liable to have their forms altered in the kiln, or to run together with any accidental augmentations of the fire.