from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A shrubby plant (Mimosa pudica) in the pea family, native to tropical America, having mauve flower heads and bipinnately compound leaves with leaflets that fold and droop when touched.
- noun Any of various similar plants, such as Chamaecrista nictitans.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun The tropical and greenhouse plant Mimosa pudica; the humble-plant.
- noun Same as
sensitive pea(which see, under pea).
- noun The narrow-leaved sensitive-brier, Leptoglottis angustata (Schrankia angustata of Torrey and Gray), found from Virginia to Florida aud west to Tennessee and Texas.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun semi-climbing prickly evergreen shrub of tropical America having compound leaves sensitive to light and touch
- noun prostrate or semi-erect subshrub of tropical America, and Australia; heavily armed with recurved thorns and having sensitive soft grey-green leaflets that fold and droop at night or when touched or cooled
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.