from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a symmetrical shape which forms the overall outline of seven partially-overlapping circles of the same diameter.
- n. A stylized flower or leaf with seven lobes.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A European herb, the tormentil. See tormentil.
- n. An ornamental foliation having seven lobes. Cf. Cinquefoil, Quarterfoil, and Trefoil.
- n. A typical figure, consisting of seven equal segments of a circle, used to denote the gifts of the Holy Chost, the seven sacraments as recognized by the Roman Catholic Church, etc.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A plant, Potentilla Tormentilla. See tormentil.
- n. A figure composed of seven lobes or leaves. Compare cinquefoil, quatrefoil, sexfoil. Specifically A figure of seven equal segments of a circle, used as an ecclesiastical symbol of the seven sacraments, seven gifts of the Holy Spirit, etc.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.