from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or pertaining to the nasal septum and the maxilla.
- n. A small bone between the nasal septum and the maxilla in many reptiles and amphibians.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to the nasal septum and the maxilla; situated in the region of these parts.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Combining characters of a nasal septum and of a maxillary bone; common to or connecting such parts, as a bone or cartilage of some vertebrates.
- n. In ornithology, a bone which in some birds unites the maxillopalatines of opposite sides across the midline of the skull with each other or with the vomer.
- n. In ichthyology, a small paired bone occurring in Amia calva, a ganoid fish. It lies above the vomer and below the premaxillary, entirely out of sight until one of those bones is removed.
Sorry, no etymologies found.