from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or pertaining to the nasal septum and the maxilla.
- n. A small bone between the nasal septum and the maxilla in many reptiles and amphibians.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to the nasal septum and the maxilla; situated in the region of these parts.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Combining characters of a nasal septum and of a maxillary bone; common to or connecting such parts, as a bone or cartilage of some vertebrates.
- n. In ornithology, a bone which in some birds unites the maxillopalatines of opposite sides across the midline of the skull with each other or with the vomer.
- n. In ichthyology, a small paired bone occurring in Amia calva, a ganoid fish. It lies above the vomer and below the premaxillary, entirely out of sight until one of those bones is removed.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.