from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The state of being serrate.
- n. A series or set of teeth or notches.
- n. A single tooth or notch in a serrate edge.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The state of being serrated
- n. A set of teeth or notches
- n. One of the teeth in a serrated or serrate edge
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Condition of being serrate; formation in the shape of a saw.
- n. One of the teeth in a serrate or serrulate margin.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state of being serrate; a serrated condition; formation in the shape of the edge of a saw.
- n. In zoöl., anat., and botany:
- n. A serra; a formation like a saw in respect of its teeth; a set or series of saw-like teeth. See cuts under Priacanthus and serratirostral.
- n. One of a set of serrate or dentate processes: as, one of the nine serrations of the serratus magnus muscle.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a single notch in a row of notches
- n. a row of notches
- n. the condition of being serrated
Sorry, no etymologies found.
I cannot tell why so called -- its small and rounded leaves having nothing like oak leaves about them, except the serration, which is common to half, at least, of all leaves that grow.
To be sure, outrage comes in many forms, flavors and degrees of serration.
They have black handles and thin pointy tips with an inch of serration starting just below the tips.
Even knives whose power of serration will scarcely trouble poached salmon.
Anne Bremner, it could be a particular serration on a knife.
The light from the East and the bright serration of new snow on the mountain ranges surrounding us seem to bind a vast country together.
The liberals enforce serration by denying access to private elite schools by others than those they deem less worthy.
But “serration” is not equivalent to meat eating, and in fact iguanas, which are mostly vegetarian, also have serrated teeth.
Try using a grapefruit knife with your left hand -- the blade's contour and serration will be backward until you adjust.
GRACE: You mean, if they find the exact correct bone, if it shows signs of a gunshot wound or serration from a knife or some type of a puncture.