from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Sports A boundary line, as in tennis or handball, that must not be overstepped in serving.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The line, in tennis and similar sports, behind which the ball is initially served and over which the feet must not cross when serving
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a line parallel to the net, and at a distance of 21 feet from it.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In lawn-tennis, one of the two lines drawn across the court twenty-one feet from the net. See lawn-tenns.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the back line bounding each end of a tennis or handball court; when serving the server must not step over this line
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.