from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A machine for sewing, often having additional attachments for special stitching.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun In shoe manufacturing, a machine for sewing leather, built upon the general plan of the machine for sewing fabrics. It appears in a great variety of forms and under many different names, as fair-stitch machine, counter-stitcher, saddle-seam machine, wax-thread machine, out-sole stitcher, etc. The illustration shows a typical sole-sewing machine of the McKay type.
- noun A machine for stitching fabrics, operated by foot or other power.
- noun In bookbinding, a machine used for sewing together the sections of a book.
- noun A small sewing machine operated by hand.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun Any
mechanicalor electromechanicaldevice used to stitch clothor other material; normally uses two threadsto form lock stitches
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a textile machine used as a home appliance for sewing
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.