from The Century Dictionary.
- noun The common American snipe, Gallinago wilsoni or G. delicata. See cut under
- noun The common European sandpiper, Trin-goides hypoleucus.
- noun Both birds are so called with reference to their appearance at the shad-fishing season.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun Prov. Eng., Prov. Eng. The American, or Wilson's, snipe. See under
snipe. So called because it appears at the same time as the shad.
- noun Prov. Eng. The common European sandpiper.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun dated, UK, dialect The American
snipe; Wilson's snipe.
- noun dated, UK, dialect The common
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
shad + bird, since it appears at the same time as the shad (a fish).
Sorry, no example sentences found.