from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. A gap in a surface which is electrically conductive on a revolving shaft or armature, so arranged that when it passes a contact-piece, touching the circumference of the shaft, the electric current will be interrupted: used in motor-cars or other internal-combustion motors as a means of make-and-break to secure ignition by a spark.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.