from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. A bone or other hard, flat part full of little holes; a foraminulose plate or surface; specifically, the cribriform plate of the ethmoid bone.
  • n. In botany, one of the panels or thin areas of a sieve-cell. See sieve-cell.
  • n. In paper manufacturing, a strainer for paper-pulp; a knotter; a sifting-machine.
  • n. In certain hexactinellid sponges like Euplectella, a transverse irregular network or reticulum covering the top of the skeleton, formed at a late stage in the growth of the sponge, and serving to protect the interior of the colony by the subdivision of the excurrent passage.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.