from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To convert into or impregnate with silica.
- intransitive v. To become converted into or impregnated with silica.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. to impregnate something with silica
- v. to be impregnated with, or converted into silica
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To become converted into silica, or to be impregnated with silica.
- transitive v. To convert into, or to impregnate with, silica, or with the compounds of silicon.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To convert into silica, as organic matter of any kind, especially wood.
- To become silica; be impregnated with silica.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
This material, as is well known, is very liable to disintegrate, and the remedy is to silicify it.