from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A spiny, deciduous, tropical tree (Ceiba pentandra) having palmately compound leaves and cultivated for its leathery fruit that contain the silklike fiber kapok.
- n. Either of two trees (Bombax ceiba or Cochlospermum religiosum) having seeds surrounded by silky hairs.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A large tropical tree of the genus Bombax.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a name for several tropical trees of the genera Bombax and Eriodendron, and belonging to the order Bombaceæ. The trees grow to an immense size, and have their seeds enveloped in a cottony substance, which is used for stuffing cushions, but can not be spun.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. massive tropical tree with deep ridges on its massive trunk and bearing large pods of seeds covered with silky floss; source of the silky kapok fiber
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.