from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A key with a large portion of the bit filed away so that it can open different locks. Also called passkey.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. A very simple design of key that usually has a cylindrical shaft (sometimes called a "shank") and a single, minimal flat, rectangular tooth or "bit".
  • n. A key that has parts filed away so that it will open a range of locks

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • adj. a key with nearly the whole substance of the web filed away, to adapt it to avoid the wards of a lock; a master key; -- used for opening locks to which it has not been especially fitted.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. a passkey with much of the bit filed away so that it can open different locks


Sorry, no etymologies found.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.