from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • v. Present participle of skew.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. In gilding, the process of removing superfluous gold-leaf from parts of a surface, and of patching pieces upon spots where the gold-leaf has failed to adhere. It is performed by means of a brush, and precedes burnishing.
  • n. In printing, an improper method of fastening type in a chase, by which the lines are put askew or made to hang or bow.


Sorry, no etymologies found.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.