from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Milk from which the cream has been removed.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Non-fat milk; milk that has had the cream removed.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. skimmed milk; milk from which the cream has been taken.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Milk from which the cream has been skimmed; hence, figuratively, that which lacks substantial quality, as richness or strength; thinness; inferiority.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. milk from which the cream has been skimmed
Sorry, no etymologies found.
I bought some skim milk from Smiling Hill Farm and venison from Bayley Hill, then added fresh vegetables and a loaf of bread from the Big Sky Bread Company.
While Cheddar cheese is 30 to 40 percent fat, cheese made from skim milk or low-fat milk can have a fat content of less than 15 percent.