from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The manufacture of inexpensive, low-quality, ready-to-wear clothes.
- n. Cheap ready-to-wear clothes.
- n. Careless or hasty work.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The manufacture of slops, or cheap ready-made clothing.
- n. Clothing of this kind.
- n. Hasty, slovenly work of any kind.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The manufacture of slops, or cheap ready-made clothing; also, such clothing; hence, hasty, slovenly work of any kind.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The manufacture of slops, or cheap clothing for sale ready-made.
- n. The cheap clothing so made.
- n. Hence, any work done superficially or poorly.
As far as the trade details and statistics of this gruesome slopwork of East London went, he knew all that could be shown him.
And thus what slopwork, what toymakers ', ironmongers' stuff it all was! of a prettiness fit to make you cry, a silly sentimentality fit to make your heart turn with disgust!
I never heard of a butcher making a trade of becoming security, _because the slopwork people cannot afford to consume much meat_.