from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A bear (Melursus ursinus) of India and Sri Lanka, having a long snout, long sticky tongue, and dark shaggy hair and feeding on plants and insects, especially termites and the larvae of bees.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A nocturnal bear living in the South Asia.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a black or brown long-haired bear (Melursus ursinus, or Melursus labiatus), native of India and Ceylon; -- called also aswail, labiated bear, and jungle bear. It is easily tamed and can be taught many tricks.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The aswail. See Melursus, and cut under aswail.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. common coarse-haired long-snouted bear of south-central Asia
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.