from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A covered passage, especially one between the transept and chapter house of a cathedral.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A covered passageway, especially one connecting the transept of a cathedral or monastery to the chapter house.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A narrow passage between two buildings, as between the transept and chapter house of a monastery.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In some English cathedrals, a passage leading from the transept to the chapter-house or to the deanery.
Wearing simple habits of black tunics, hooded scapulars, and long-sleeved cuculas or robes, the monks walk reverently through a glass-lined hallway - called a slype - that connects the monastery and the church, then bow before the altar, and take their places in high-backed choir stalls where they pray, sing, chant, and recite the liturgy.
It occupies the place of the passage known as the slype in monastic churches.
It may here be mentioned that a close examination of the ground has shown that there was formerly the usual "slype," or open pathway, running from the cloister-garth, between the south transept and the Chapter House, to the canons 'cemetery on the southern side of the Lady Chapel.
The "slype" is a passage which was cut through the southern buttress by Bishop Curle, to put a stop to the constant use of the nave and south aisle as a thoroughfare by the townspeople.
The chamber to the extreme south is the entrance lobby to the south door, which leads into the "slype" or passage running between the church and the old chapter-house.
Lodgings, the Chapter House ( "the exquisite small chapel," stanza lxvi. line 5), the "slype" or passage between church and Chapter House; and in the upper story, the state bedrooms, named after the kings, Edward III.,
Separated from the south transept by a slype or passage, was the
Before entering the Cloister court we pass through the old slype, once a simple vaulted passage, but now open to the sky.
Lindsey (1214-1222) erected a lavatory in the south cloister: this would be contemporary with the Early English work remaining in this wall, and with the archway to the slype; but it must have been removed when the cloisters were enlarged, and another lavatory, of which we see the remains under three arches, built in its stead.
The first window -- _i. e._ the westernmost window nearest to the slype -- is a memorial to J. Francillon, Esq., a judge of the county court, who died in 1866.