from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n.pl. Any of various preparations of ammonium carbonate and perfume, sniffed as a restorative or stimulant especially to relieve faintness and headache.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Plural form of smelling salt.
- n. ammonium carbonate, sometimes with added perfume, that is sniffed as a mild stimulant and to relieve fainting
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- An aromatic preparation of carbonate of ammonia and, often, some scent, to avoid or relieve faintness, headache, or the like.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- A preparation of ammonium carbonate with some agreeable scent, as lavender or bergamot, used as a stimulant and restorative in faintness and for the relief of headache.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a pungent preparation of ammonium carbonate and perfume; sniffed as a stimulant to relieve faintness
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.