from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Needlework decoration of small, regularly spaced gathers stitched into a honeycomb pattern.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An embroidery technique in which the fabric is gathered and then embroidered with decorative stitches to hold the gathers in place.
- v. Present participle of smock.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An ornamental shirring, recently used, intended to imitate that on the smock-frocks of field-laborers. The lines, instead of being horizontal, form a honeycomb, the material being puckered diagonally.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. embroidery consisting of ornamental needlework on a garment that is made by gathering the cloth tightly in stitches
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Guess the "smocking" is a critical attribute for me, huh?
Social sciences Do smocking reduce the dippression? smocking is a sedative which can actually deepen dippression what's "smocking"? what's a "dippression"?
I was allowed to attend the ceremony, to which I wore a beautiful pair of bottle-green velvet short trousers which Mum sewed for me, a pair of fire-engine red patent leather buckled shoes, white socks, and a little white shirt with smocking and a frilly round collar, extremely smart.
I am not able to iron the upper part of the sleeve on this one, so I just leave it wrinkled and it looks like smocking.
Throughout her lifetime, her gifts of sewing, smocking, embroidery, and clothing to family and friends help tie them to her, and to one another.
I found a pretty Laura Ashley jumper with smocking today at Goodwill!
Sometimes a little elastic smocking or an obilike sash can camouflage a tummy.
But smocking them or adding some embroidered touches would make them new again ... and since I did it myself, I would make them even more my own.
But this" "He dropped his hands then, with a gesture of despair that took in the protruding belly, swelling accusingly under the light smocking.
The delicate smocking over the midriff extending in a funnel shape down into a gored skirt flaring nearly to the floor.